November 2019 is mouth cancer awareness month. Please visit dentalhealth.org for more information.
All our patients undergo oral cancer screening as part of our oral health check.
Check out the posters below for more info…
Summary of guidelines
The guidelines are supported by best evidence and based on consensus from key international experts.
Four key steps to optimal denture care, summarised in the above graphic and available in full here, were concluded:
- Daily cleaning of the dentures using mechanical action – brushing with a toothbrush or denture brush and an effective, non-abrasive denture cleanser (no dentifrice).
- Daily soaking in a denture-cleansing solution – this seems to deliver extra chemical breakdown of the remaining plaque and some level of disinfection of the denture. Denture-cleansing solutions should only be used outside the mouth, and denture wearers should strictly follow the manufacturers’ guidelines.
- Denture wearers should not keep their dentures in the mouth overnight, unless there are specific reasons for keeping them in. This guideline is even more important for people at a higher risk of developing stomatitis and for frail or institutionalised older people. Soaking in a denture cleanser solution after mechanical cleaning seems to be beneficial for preventing denture stomatitis and the potential risk of pneumonia events in these groups of people.
- All patients who wear removable dentures should be enrolled into a regular recall and maintenance programme with their dental professional.
In 2018, National Smile Month will take place between 14 May and 14 June.
A smile might be a small gesture, yet it can have a remarkable effect on our state of mind, as well as the emotional welfare of others.
Click here to visit the National Smile Month website!
It’s been National Smile Month!
Find out from your Dentist about how you can improve your smile, or check out the Oral Health Foundation’s info here.
Smile Month is here!
How’s your smile? Can you let out a grin without being embarrassed about your teeth? Make sure you’ve got your next check-up booked in and we’ll take care of your smile!!
Check out the Stockwell Lodge Dental Practice staff with their big smiles…
It’s National Smile Month!!
“In a nutshell, National Smile Month is the UK’s largest and longest-running campaign to promote good oral health.
Together, with thousands of individuals and organisations, National Smile Month highlights three key messages, all of which go a long way in helping us develop and maintain a healthy mouth. They are:
- Brush your teeth last thing at night and on at least one other occasion with a fluoride toothpaste.
- Cut down on how often you have sugary foods and drinks.
- Visit your dentist regularly, as often as they recommend.
The aim of National Smile Month is to ultimately improve the UK’s oral health. Organised by oral health charity, the Oral Health Foundation, the campaign hopes to raise awareness of important health issues, and make a positive difference to the oral health of millions.
And this year, the campaign celebrates a very special landmark… it’s 40th Birthday!”
from National Smile Month http://www.nationalsmilemonth.org/
Photo Credit Justine Forrest, RR3622 Smilies Images, Academy Students and Staff